"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Thursday, June 16, 2005

True Story

A while back, while tooling around beautiful Bethesda, Maryland on a weekend afternoon, I came upon a particular vehicle type. You've seen it: A large, underpowered van (the kind with suspension made from medium-sized rubber bands), badly in need of a wash, with the back plastered with a dozen bumper stickers.

Various sentiments were expressed, this one more than once:



A fine notion.

But then I noticed, down on the bumper itself, this sticker:



Such vehicles, of course, are irony-free zones, so the opinion was clearly heartfelt.

I kid you not.

Comments on "True Story"

 

Blogger Muley said ... (5:43 PM) : 

I hope you didn't have to drag that van into your office to scan the bumper stickers off of it -- you might have brought in some very nasty diseases!

I've always thought that cars plastered with an incredible amount of bumper stickers (most of the time, it seems, displaying liberal sentiments), are either cries for personal attention to be given to the owner, or the somewhat more subdued equivalent of driving around with a hand constantly out the window, shooting the bird. I don't think the real intent ever is to change hearts and minds, and if it is, bumper stickers are sure doing a poor job.

If anything, on either side of the political aisle, what thought I think they most produce is, "WHAT AN IDIOT!"

 

Blogger Jan said ... (10:59 AM) : 

I suspect somebody is selling grab bags of such stickers because I've seen the same sort of assortment on the cars around Oklahoma City (but only in the irony-free zone, of course).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:43 AM) : 

I'm reminded here of a famous quote, often attributed to Mark Twain, which I'll now paraphrase:

"It is better to keep your (sled free of bumper stickers) and let people think you are a fool than to (display them) and remove all doubt."

And, yes, I recognize that I've just performed the functional equivalent by contributing this post. DOH!

 

post a comment