"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Checkpoint Charlie

According to the German blog "David's Medienkritik," the Berlin city government plans to bulldoze down the Checkpoint Charlie monument.

On July 4, no less.

Is there any possibility that this is true? Are German politicians so cynical and self-absorbed, are Americans so ignorant and careless, that this could actually happen?

What am I missing? To the extent that the Cold War had a Ground Zero, Checkpoint Charlie was it. The Third Reich stood for little more than a decade. The scientific system which was destined to "bury" the West lasted for less than a century. Surely Checkpoint Charlie must be preserved for a thousand years.

Comments on "Checkpoint Charlie"

 

Blogger Julie said ... (7:11 PM) : 

I visited Checkpoint Charlie. I still have my T-shirt from it.

(As I reread what I just wrote, I'm kind of ashamed.)

 

post a comment