"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Someone Should Check This Storyline Out

Just sayin' -
JUDGE ALITO: And then after the case was decided, I received a recusal motion. And I was quite concerned because I take my ethical responsibilities very seriously.

So I looked into the question of whether I was required, under the code, because I just wanted to see where the law was on this. Was I required, under the code of conduct, to recuse myself in this case?

And it seemed to me that I was not. And a number of legal experts, experts on legal ethics, have now looked into this question, and their conclusion is: No, I was not required to recuse. But I didn't stand on that because of my own personal policy of going beyond what the code requires.

So, I did recuse myself. And, not only that, I asked that the original decision in the case be vacated -- that is, wiped off the books -- and that the losing party in the case, the appellant, Ms. Monga, be given an entirely new appeal before an entirely new panel.

And that was done. And I wanted to make sure she did not go away from this case with the impression that she had gotten anything less than an absolutely fair hearing.

And then, beyond that, I realized that the fact that this had slipped through in a pro se case pointed to a bigger problem, and that was the absence of clearance sheets.

So, since that time, I have developed my own forms that I use in my own chambers. And, for pro se cases now, there's -- I have a red sheet of paper printed up, and it's red so nobody misses it. And when a pro se case comes in, it initially goes to my law clerks. And they prepare a clearance sheet for me in that case and then they do an initial check to see whether they spot any recusal problem.

And if they don't, then there's a space at the bottom where they initial it. And then it comes to me, and there's a space at the bottom for me to initial to make sure that I focus on the recusal problem.

And in very bold print at the bottom of the sheet, for my secretary, it says: No vote is to be sent in in this case unless this form is completely filled out.

MILTON WADDAMS: And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

Comments on "Someone Should Check This Storyline Out"

 

Blogger Chris said ... (3:59 PM) : 

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Blogger Gentleman Farmer said ... (4:21 PM) : 

I'm gonna need those TPS reports on my desk by, like, 3 o' clock, m'kay? Great, thanks.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:39 PM) : 

I officially don't get it. Item 1 is Alito's bend-over-backwards persnickety caution about not acting in a case in which a disappointed litigant might arguably fear that Alito has a personal interest. Item 2 is some guy crabbing over imagined wrongs against himself. And these are linked because ... ?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (6:24 PM) : 

I have much sympathy for Judge Alito and his garbled story. To me, the worst thing about being a trial lawyer was having to read transcripts of my own arguments. Between my tendency toward fumble-mouth and the way that the reporting service would mangle whatever intelligible statements I might have made, the transcript usually ended up as some horrid mess that makes the quotation from Alito sound like Churchill in comparison.

 

Blogger AbbaGav said ... (7:45 AM) : 

Umm yaaaah, we're going to need you to move your desk back to the corner. Love it. I'm not even worried about whether it matches the main story, thank you, a real day brightener.

 

post a comment