"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Tuesday, February 07, 2006

You Can't Make Me!

Jeb, one of the contributors to Girlfriday, reminds us:
Let me start by saying that as anyone who knows me would tell you, I am a George Bush loving conservative. I think the Iraq war is right and abortion is wrong. Terry Schiavo was murdered. Richard Nixon is over-demonized. Reagan had tremendous foresight, and George Bush is no idiot.

I love cowboys. I love a good Western. I have loved Clint Eastwood from afar, literally for as long as I can remember. Homosexuality is wrong. Adultery is wrong.
But she went to see Brokeback Mountain anyway:
So I think I should have hated Brokeback Mountain. But I didn’t. I was moved to tears. Heartbroken even.
After a long and thoughtful review, she concludes:
If Brokeback Mountain is meant to be some kind of endorsement of homosexuality well then I didn’t get it and I’d have to give it an “F.” But if it is supposed to be a small, poetic illustration of one part of the human condition it does an achingly good job.
Read the whole thing HERE.

But she still can't make me go see it. No she can’t.
[Sounds of feet stamping wildly.]
No!

Comments on "You Can't Make Me!"

 

Blogger Julie said ... (10:26 PM) : 

Well, you know my close-minded thoughts on it. I just assume -- I can't get it out of my head -- that I'm voting with my dollars and I don't particularly feel like voting for Brokeback.

 

Blogger girlfriday said ... (11:55 PM) : 

Julie: Good point.

But who thinks you're close-minded? Jeb didn't insinuate this. I'll be honest; I don't want to see gay sex. And I especially don't want to see Hollywood throw it in my face by using two of their freshest-faced hunks.

Sigh. I have enough gay-straight drama in the lives of the people around me to...

But what am I saying? Whee! This is Glib and Superficial!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:34 AM) : 

So Jeb says that "Homosexuality is wrong", but that if this movie "is supposed to be a small, poetic illustration of one part of the human condition it does an achingly good job."

I am reminded of the bit from Alexander Pope:

"Vice is a monster of so frightful mien,
As to be hated need but to be seen;
Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
We first endure, then pity, then embrace."

So on the continuuum of hate, endure, pity, and embrace, Jeb is about at "pity".

Because Screwtape is very patient, he's happy to get pity and to wait for the embrace.

 

post a comment