"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Crap!

I hate it when that happens. The goalposts keep moving. How can a poor, broken, tired seeker-of-truth make any progress when truth keeps changing!

Here I am wasting my time studying Jerome, Augustine, Athanasius, even golden-mouthed St. John, only to learn from a former priest, writing in the Boston Globe (of all places) that the meaning of existence has changed!
Equally damaging, the Vatican’s preemptive exploitation of Anglican distress explicitly ducks the large and urgent challenge facing every religion and every religious person, which is how to positively reconcile tradition with the massive changes in awareness, knowledge, and communication that come with the scientific and technological breakthroughs that daily alter the meaning of existence.

Daily! Did you hear that? The entire meaning of existence changes daily!  I've "ducked the challenge" to figure out, every morning, what the meaning of existence might be today.  (I hope it's nachos today.  I love nachos.)

How can I ever catch up if I'm still wasting my time studying the "meaning of existence" in Alexandria in 350 A.D.?  As it stands, I've got something like 600,000 daily meanings-of-existence to plow through before I even get to Cardinal Newman.

I'm really bummed.  I hate it when that happens.

Labels: ,

Comments on "Crap!"

 

Blogger Hired Hand said ... (9:23 PM) : 

I've known it's nachos for some time now.

 

post a comment