"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Monday, March 13, 2006

I Return: Draw Close and Learn

I am Orso'Grande.

Now that Spring is here, I have emerged from my den to provide guidance to the ignorant, the unwary, and the fan. But I repeat myself.

First, a few comments on events leading up to the first round.

Some observers were foolish enough to believe that the Tobacco Road Refs would permit Boston College to win a close game against one of The Three. Excuse me? Do I hear a question? Oh yes: The Three. The Atlantic Coast Conference was founded in May of 1953. That means that, counting the trophy awarded to Duke yesterday, there have been 52 basketball championships. For homework, research the number that have NOT gone to Duke, North Carolina, or NC State. And please review the number of times the tournament has been played outside of North Carolina. Tsk. Tsk. No wonder Maryland does. (Wonder, that is.)

And, speaking of Maryland, let us hear no whining or complaining. This weekend, Syracuse demonstrated what needs to be done by a good team, on the bubble, with an historic program: Win some games, and you'll get an invitation. Now, 'Cuse rather overdid the thing, but they were on a roll, why not go with it?

All right, hoops fans. We won't be printing out brackets. We won't be predicting any fourth-seed tournament champions (Kansas) or any sixth-seed Final Four appearances (Michigan State). We will, instead, provide advice and comments on a round-by-round basis.

The first round is 32 games. At least one-quarter of those games have the potential to produce an upset. I'm not predicting that in these eight games the underdog will prevail, but I'm suggesting you do some work of your own, and take a closer look. None of these upset outcomes would surprise me in the least:

  • Texas A&M over Syracuse -- Syracuse is on a hot streak, but sooner or later Gerry McNamara will miss a game-winning shot. Won't he?

  • Southern Illinois over West Virginia -- Southern Illinois plays some of the best defense in the country, and will have no problem defending against the three.

  • NC State over Cal -- State has been is tested. They always play hard when they're underdogs. And they've had a lot of practice.

  • San Diego St. over Indiana -- Indiana has been losing games and coaches. What's to play for? And the Aztecs are hungry.

  • Utah State over Washington -- In 16 of the last 17 tournaments, a 12 seed has knocked off a 5. This is as good a pick as any. (Sorry, Oldtimer!)

  • George Mason over Michigan State -- I wouldn't bet the farm on it, but the Patriots are a solid, capable team, and State is streaky.

  • Winthrop over Tennessee -- It's been forever since a #2 seed has been upset. And when has there been a weaker #2 than the Vols?

  • Montana over Nevada -- another 12/5 matchup, and it's simple: Who has Nevada beaten? San Jose State? Idaho? Fresno State (oops, they split)? Get the point?
Oh, and for extra credit: Monmouth College will beat Hampton in the play-in game. [I'll bet you don't even know where West Long Branch is, do you? Well, it's right down the road from Asbury.]

Comments on "I Return: Draw Close and Learn"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:09 PM) : 

Well, I think Maryland has won 3 times; Wake Forest has won 4 times; Georgia Tech won 3 times, and South Carolina & Virginia have each won once.

That leaves a lot for Duke, Carolina, and NCState.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (8:12 AM) : 

Orso, while I do not always agree with your thoughts (i.e. your predicition of Taquan Dean as player of the year in the Big East)I must admit I do appreciate your writings and look forward to further thoughts.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:45 AM) : 

No need to apologize, O'G. In the PAC 10 tournament, the Huskies proved that they can lose to any team, any time, any place. I think that they will advance farther than one game in the NCAA, but wouldn't be shocked if they did not. And, if I may show a touch of municipal disloyalty, I must admit that I see Gonzaga making an early exit again this year. Probably not round one, but probably in round 2. The Zags have been skating on thin ice for the last two months.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:33 AM) : 

Monmouth 71
Hampton 49

Good start! Keep it up, baby!!

 

post a comment