"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Thursday, April 27, 2006

A Distorted Reality Is Now A Necessity To Be Free

Regular readers will note that I rarely, if ever, post on political matters, leaving that for the senior (cough) author on Glib & Superficial. However, a story today has really, really, REALLY gotten my goat. If I hadn't read it in the newspaper, I almost certainly would have believed it came from a Christopher Buckley novel.

The NYT reports:
WASHINGTON, April 27 — Republican senators offered a relief package today for a public dismayed by rising gasoline prices. Trying to get out front on an issue that seems certain to be a factor in this fall's elections, the senators proposed a $100 "gas-tax holiday" in the form of a rebate check for every family.
You have got to be kidding. In the midst of the Bush emergency "must pass" budget supplement worth a cool $92 bn, already pumped up with $14 bn in pork, and a year in which we've doled out another $23 bn in farm subsidies (despite our aversion to all things French), we're going to hand out $100 to every American family "to pay for gas."

What?!?!

Of course, Americans want cheaper gas (even those of us without cars). But does the Senate really believe that Americans will appreciate this gesture instead of properly viewing it as a horribly myopic piece of energy policy and a hackneyed attempt at saving votes in 6 months?

Again, try to determine whether this is actual news, or an excerpt from a Buckley satire:
"It will show people that Washington gets it," said Senator Jim Talent of Missouri, "and that it's time to provide some relief to Americans, to Missourians who are trying to support their families and are paying these very high gasoline prices."
Emphasis added. Now excuse me while I go jump out a window.

*Image courtesy of defenselink.mil

Comments on "A Distorted Reality Is Now A Necessity To Be Free"

 

Blogger Selfish Country Music Loving Lady said ... (4:02 PM) : 

It's about time politicians started handing OUT the bribes, that's what I say.

Do I get the $100 gas break even though I don't own a car?

 

Blogger Gentleman Farmer said ... (4:28 PM) : 

I predict that voters will be angry at politicians who don't make gas prices come down. And they will drive to the polls in their SUVs, set the heat at 75 and the A/C at 65, and refuse to permit the building of a nuclear power plant anywhere within 500 miles of their home. Let alone put a wind farm where Fat Teddy might have to look at it.

Personally, I'm holding out for a federal statute that requires Keira Knightley to come to my home and rub my feet on the first business day of every month.

 

Blogger Yeoman said ... (5:03 PM) : 

Americans are really odd about gas prices.

Now, let me state, I'd rather pay less. I really would. I drive a 3/4 ton truck most days (even when I'm doing law work, which is most days) as I need it for my ag work, and I'm too cheap to buy a car in additon to my old truck.

And in cow work the diesel I'm burning adds up, and takes money out of my pockets.

But we all claim we like the free market, and have a right to sell our labor and stuff for whatever the market will bear. Right? After all, that's the glory of the market place. And the rising prices here will inspire young businessmen and women and scientiest to come up with cheap alternatives that do all sorts of good things, which is what we've been hoping for since 1973.

Yep, it's win win. The glory of the market place at work.

Well, apparently not. When it comes to gasoline, we're communist. There's not supposed to be profit, it's supposed to be distributed to the proletariat at as close to cost free as possible, and those who make big bucks selling it are the Running Dogs of Capitalism!

Hmmm. . . .

 

Blogger Hired Hand said ... (6:00 PM) : 

Yeoman - solid analysis. The psychological effect of high gas prices on a country that is CERTAINLY "addicted" to oil is immeasurable.

Jason - I posted the same comment on your blog a minute ago, but to add to the discussion over here, I'll repost (riposte?):

Jason, Jason, Jason. I mean, your analysis really fails on a number of fronts, and is one of these things that revs up the left-wing Democrats more than anything, because it's really easy to just get angry, instead of think about WHY something is the way it is.

California (where I live, and, for full disclosure, vote Democrat) and New York, the two states that gave the Democrats the most electoral votes in the most recent elections (and typically most elections) have SIGNIFICANT state gas taxes that add a good deal to the "price at the pump." Furthermore, a great deal of America's refining capacity and transport hubs for petroleum are located in the "heartland" or in "Red State territory" or are equally well-located for the transport of refined gasoline. I think if you include these factors in such an analysis, you end up with a far more reasonable-looking map, and one that doesn't get the crazy left-wingers tied up in a knot.

Sadly, my multivariate regression days are over, and I don't have Stata loaded onto my laptop anymore. If only. . .

 

Blogger Gentleman Farmer said ... (6:30 PM) : 

Does any of this mean that we've given up on the Keira legislation?

 

Blogger Hired Hand said ... (6:52 PM) : 

I'm lobbying my representative right now. Such a piece of legislation would certainly appear reasonable compared to what she normally offers up.

 

Blogger chaindropz said ... (11:12 PM) : 

This is for Yeoman I liked your comment.


http://www.kilkennyadvertiser.ie/index.php?aid=524

http://oshkoshtruckcorporation.com/about/tech_innovations~propulse.cfm

 

post a comment