"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Monday, May 22, 2006

Getting Mad

Sometimes I get mad at my wife. No! Really! It's quite true. I'm not proud of it, but it happens.

Sometimes I get mad at one or another of my sons, always with good reason (of course), and I'm sure that they're the better for it.

And sometimes I get mad at God. As time goes by, I find it more and more difficult to stay mad at Him for very long, given what we know about how He operates. See, for example, Hebrews 12:5-7.

My wife, my sons, and God have (at the very least) one thing in common: They all exist. Consequently, my being mad at one or another of them doesn't suggest a diagnosable mental condition. If, on the other hand, I became enraged at Sherlock Holmes, it might indicate that I wasn't thinking quite properly.

I suppose you've read that the actor Ian McKellen, who has a part in The Da Vinci Code, weighed in the other day with respect to those critics of the movie who have called for it to begin with a warning that it's almost entirely fictional. He said, "Well, I've often thought the Bible should have a disclaimer in the front saying this is fiction."

What I didn't know is that McKellen apparently has been known to rip from hotel Bibles the page that includes Leviticus 18:22. At least, that's what Salon reported back in December of 2001.

Why do you suppose he does that, if he thinks the Bible is fiction? Is it possible that he also gets mad at God, despite thinking He's not there?

Hat tip to Miss Julie.

Comments on "Getting Mad"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:49 AM) : 

Perhaps he just objects to inaccurate translations!

 

Blogger Gentleman Farmer said ... (11:19 AM) : 

Possibly. But: Why would one bother?

And, while we're at it, how do you translate "V’et zachar lo tishkav mishk’vey eeshah toeyvah hee"?

(I don't know how to render Hebrew characters in html.)

 

post a comment