"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Because you won't know it . . .

. . . . when you see it. The Ontario Human Rights Commission has issued new policy guidelines with respect to racism, including abolition of the term "minority group," apparently on the grounds that is insufficiently inclusive. Or exclusive. Or something.

Henceforth the term to be used is "racialized persons," which is intended to go beyond skin color and ethnic background.
"Racialization extends to people in general but also to specific traits and attributes, which are connected in some way to racialized people and are deemed to be 'abnormal' and of less worth,'" it says. "Individuals may have prejudices related to various racialized characteristics."
According to this story from the CBC,
Those characteristics may include name, accent or manner of speech, clothing and grooming, diet, beliefs and practices, leisure preferences, places of origin and citizenship, it says.
My, my, my. I'm not sure, but I think this means that if I'm in Canada I qualify for Government protection if I eat jerk chicken, wear a doo rag, like to hang out on my front porch, and come from the most urbanized state in the Union (New Jersey). Since I am or do all of these things, I may just head on up to Ontario and order me up some cast iron skillet fried chicken, and see if anybody gives me any lip. Yessir.

[NO, waitaminit! Is this another one of those things that's some kind of code for a bunch of stuff that "we all know?" I mean, like, this is just gonna apply to dark-skinned folk? Damn. I HATE IT when that happens. It seems like I NEVER KNOW any of that stuff that everyone knows.]

Comments on "Because you won't know it . . ."

 

post a comment