"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing."

                --Archilochus

Glenn Reynolds:
"Heh."

Barack Obama:
"Impossible to transcend."

Albert A. Gore, Jr.:
"An incontinent brute."

Rev. Jeremiah Wright:
"God damn the Gentleman Farmer."

Friends of GF's Sons:
"Is that really your dad?"

Kickball Girl:
"Keeping 'em alive until 7:45."

Hired Hand:
"I think . . . we forgot the pheasant."




I'm an
Alcoholic Yeti
in the
TTLB Ecosystem



Thursday, August 31, 2006

Prime Wife Material

This article in Forbes, "Don't Marry Career Women," has provoked an entirely predictable rustle of comment and complaint, with the usual suspects aghast at blatant sexism, while others express extreme aghast-ness at the aghast-ness of the usual suspects.

[Editors Note -- Now that Warren Jeffs is in custody, shouldn't that be "Don't Marry A Career Woman?"]

The thrust of the article is that such women are too something, and not enough something else, to make good wives. Or something.

In any event, we find that we are not surprised in the least that Miss Julie has a somewhat different take:
I never knew I was so desirable. My complete apathy for climbing any corporate ladder, for pushing papers and wearing panty hose, for having the same job title for years on end has made me, evidently, prime wife material. My loathing for a regular, full-time nine-to-five job day in and day out is now a draw. Who knew the ability to grow bored with a job within five days was so vital to getting married? Clearly I'm on the path to all kinds of success, though not in the realm of careers.

A few days ago I was talking with Naomi in the yard. She had just finished cleaning out some grain bins (was filthy) and I had spent nearly seven hours (no kidding) mowing all of the lawn (was filthy, too). We were not looking like model material at that moment, though, our lack of careers allowing us to do such handy work about the farm, evidently made us wife material.

I took in her dirty face and clothes, she taking in mine. "I can't understand why we're still single," I said, joking.

"Me neither," she said. "We're hard workers."

Comments on "Prime Wife Material"

 

Blogger girlfriday said ... (1:14 AM) : 

"Miss Julie?" Is she your Sunday School teacher or something?

 

Blogger Gentleman Farmer said ... (11:55 AM) : 

Surely that would do me no harm.

I refer to her thus invoking an old-fashioned form of formality, familiarity, and respect.

I may be the only person you know old enough, who grew up among folks old and old-fashioned enough, so that if my name were (and it is not) "Robert Jackson," I was sometimes in my youth addressed or referred to as "Master Jackson," since my father was (of course) "Mister Jackson." The more affectionate version, employed by some, was "Master Bobby." While I can see your brow crease with skepticism, I assure you that this is entirely true.

Hence, "Miss Julie."

 

post a comment